Groovy_MiSTer Core

KnightNZ

Re: Groovy_MiSTer Core

Unread post by KnightNZ »

mld wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:11 pm

Hi, I thought I'd share my patch to the stand alone dolphin emulator. My motivation for this was simply to play MM9 in 240p. Been wanting this a long time but not so bad that I have bought some downscaler hw. This groovy mister core let me do it for free :D . Today I fixed some bugs in my patch and played through the entire game without issues, so I thought I would share it here in case anyone else is interested.

I've tried this and I get a couple of frames or so at most before my whole MiSTer locks solid and I have to do a hard reset, usually just a solid red screen. Any ideas?

GroovyMAME seems to run fine. I've tried deleting the entire existing Dolphin config folder, but no dice.

Edit: I deleted the config file and it started behaving. Shrug.

Rautz

Unread post by Rautz »

Here is a guide i gave to a couple of friends to try set up their own arcades. The guide covers the USBIP service, this section in particular is ideal for arcade cabinet owners running jamma adpators to their MiSTer units as controls are hardwired to the harness rather than plugged into usb slots of the Mister io board.

If anything reads wrong or isnt quite getting you across the line, leave a comment under the edit request section of the document and I'll take a look.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1o31 ... sp=sharing

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

I am not sure if this has been covered or not, but is it possible to stream this to multiple MiSTer's at the same time? It would be cool to have this option for a sort of video distribution system, especially now with the ability to stream PC applications and that could be used for watching movies on CRT's in different rooms for example.

Rautz

Unread post by Rautz »

thorr wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:28 pm

I am not sure if this has been covered or not, but is it possible to stream this to multiple MiSTer's at the same time? It would be cool to have this option for a sort of video distribution system, especially now with the ability to stream PC applications and that could be used for watching movies on CRT's in different rooms for example.

For groovymame at least I wasnt able to connect to multiple MiSTer's out of the box. Im getting a decommissioned switcher from our office so will try that for what Im trying to achieve(run several instances of groovymame on my server), though I dont think that ties in with streaming from PC to multiple MiSTer's at the same time.

KnightNZ

Unread post by KnightNZ »

Rautz wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:54 pm
thorr wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:28 pm

For groovymame at least I wasnt able to connect to multiple MiSTer's out of the box. Im getting a decommissioned switcher from our office so will try that for what Im trying to achieve(run several instances of groovymame on my server), though I dont think that ties in with streaming from PC to multiple MiSTer's at the same time.

It's a bi-directional protocol which expects a single ACK, so I wouldn't expect that to work. Be very cool though.

psakhis
Core Developer

Unread post by psakhis »

This needs a broadcast solution; is possible but how many have more than 1 MiSTer?

Zeosstud

Unread post by Zeosstud »

Quick Question, does this solution allow you to play vertical games well on a horizontal CRT? Say you have a 25" CRT, which gives you the needed room to show vertical games pretty close to what a 19" monitor would look like. Wondering if this solution does that.

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Zeosstud wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:32 am

Quick Question, does this solution allow you to play vertical games well on a horizontal CRT? Say you have a 25" CRT, which gives you the needed room to show vertical games pretty close to what a 19" monitor would look like. Wondering if this solution does that.

If you use 240p, you will lose lines of resolution. For example if you play Donkey Kong, some ladder rungs will be missing. There are only up to roughly 240 lines horizontally with progressive scan, and usually actually less than that is actually visible. However, if you use a 480i mode, then it could possibly work well enough but be interlaced.

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

psakhis wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:54 am

This needs a broadcast solution; is possible but how many have more than 1 MiSTer?

I know a few people do. How many would actually use this feature, I have no idea. Also, how many people have CRT's in different rooms? I just thought of it so I thought I would share it, but depending on the amount of effort, it might not be worth the trouble. For me personally, I use Groovy MiSTer with two different CRT's and two different MiSTer's already. One is in my arcade cabinet and the other is my big 27" TV. Currently, I have to either have separate Mame folders for the games I want on either TV, or change the INI file when I want to switch the TV I am using. Having separate Mame folders is an easy enough solution. I like to play some arcade games on the big TV, but most on the arcade cabinet. It would be cool if it could just broadcast to both at the same time and either TV could be turned on, but not the end of the world if the feature never comes to be.

mist-rich

Unread post by mist-rich »

Hope you don't mind me posting this (i'm a slow learner and have re-read this exciting thread many times but still struggling to get my head around it although I can sense it has great potential).

How does Groovy Mister differ from Mister Cast? Am I right in saying (and this may not the right phrase) Mister Cast would not be 'Pixel Perfect'?

MiSTer Consoles

Unread post by MiSTer Consoles »

mist-rich wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:04 pm

Hope you don't mind me posting this (i'm a slow learner and have re-read this exciting thread many times but still struggling to get my head around it although I can sense it has great potential).

How does Groovy Mister differ from Mister Cast? Am I right in saying (and this may not the right phrase) Mister Cast would not be 'Pixel Perfect'?

MiSTer Cast is a program on the PC that sends any video data being displayed on the computer to Groovy MiSTer so that it can be displayed on a CRT. So for example you could run a game through an emulator on your computer and send that to your MiSTer without the emulator needing to be configured to work specifically with Groovy MiSTer.

mist-rich

Unread post by mist-rich »

MiSTer Consoles wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:15 pm

MiSTer Cast is a program on the PC that sends any video data being displayed on the computer to Groovy MiSTer so that it can be displayed on a CRT. So for example you could run a game through an emulator on your computer and send that to your MiSTer without the emulator needing to be configured to work specifically with Groovy MiSTer.

Thank you :) appreciate reply. Ahh I see, so the 2 programs work together :)

RiotRay

Unread post by RiotRay »

Anybody try the latest GroovyMister testbuild from yesterday (17.03.24)?
I'm either getting no stream at all with the combined groovymame .263 (+ it shuts down 15khz) or it won't stream sound with groovymame .261 (and some garbage video in menus)

MiSTer Consoles

Unread post by MiSTer Consoles »

mist-rich wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:25 am
MiSTer Consoles wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:15 pm

Thank you :) appreciate reply. Ahh I see, so the 2 programs work together :)

No problem! 👍🏻 Yes they work together. 🙂

psakhis
Core Developer

Unread post by psakhis »

RiotRay wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:30 pm

Anybody try the latest GroovyMister testbuild from yesterday (17.03.24)?
I'm either getting no stream at all with the combined groovymame .263 (+ it shuts down 15khz) or it won't stream sound with groovymame .261 (and some garbage video in menus)

New test builds are improving new lz4 hardware blitting.
Only works with mame test build for it (mame_nogpu25). MiSTerCast is beta for this release and needs some changes to improve stability.

RiotRay

Unread post by RiotRay »

@psakhis

It doesn't seem to work for me. I've tried all the related files on github. The core is running, but upon connecting to the "mame_nogpu25" it's just freezing and 15khz output shuts down. Is there something else different on your system?

The Opponent

Unread post by The Opponent »

Is this core working with Direct Video? I'm not able to get any picture at all with HDMI converted to VGA, but VGA over analog IO works fine. I have a legacy analog IO 6.1 board so I wanted to try the PWM option over Direct Video and it's not showing any picture with either latest stable or testing builds.

mapf

Unread post by mapf »

The Opponent wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:17 pm

I wanted to try the PWM option over Direct Video

The direct video is 24bit RGB color - no need for PWM.

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

The Opponent wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:17 pm

Is this core working with Direct Video? I'm not able to get any picture at all with HDMI converted to VGA, but VGA over analog IO works fine. I have a legacy analog IO 6.1 board so I wanted to try the PWM option over Direct Video and it's not showing any picture with either latest stable or testing builds.

Yes, it works for me with Direct Video (no PWM!).

The Opponent

Unread post by The Opponent »

I think the problem is likely with my DAC. I have a Tendak HDMI to VGA converter and I've discovered that a lot of cores don't show any picture with it.

psakhis
Core Developer

Unread post by psakhis »

Hi
Thanks to @Calamity, with last test-build and groovymame 0.264, joysticks on MiSTer works remotely.
All you need is activate send inputs on server settings and map joysticks on core.
"joystickprovider mister" on mame.ini

Mr.Pacman

Unread post by Mr.Pacman »

I have a weird issue when running GroovyMiSTer.
When I run GroovyMame from my laptop using Windows 11, everything is just fine and I can play games by pointing mame.ini to the MiSTer IP address and running Groovy.rbf on MiSTer.
When I copy the exact same folder containing Groovymame to my desktop (also running Windows 11), as soon as I click on the MAME icon, the output gets sent to my CRT but the image starts glitching every 2 seconds (even the MAME main window where you select a game). For these tests, I'm connecting my MiSTer directly to my PC/laptop using a network cable to rule out any network issues.
On the PC, I'm using groovymame_0264.220b_win-7-8-10 and mame_mister.ini from https://github.com/antonioginer/GroovyMAME/releases
On the MiSTer, I'm using MiSTer_groovy and Groovy_20240327.rbf from https://github.com/psakhis/Groovy_MiSTe ... /hps_linux
Does anybody have an idea what might be causing this?

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

I recently tried to go to the 0325 version and also the 0327 version and could not get it to work. I followed the instructions. Putting the original one back worked again. I think it locked up when I tried if I recall correctly. I am hoping I can eventually get the new versions to work, but I am not sure what could be causing my problem. I didn't change the Mame installation at all, just the MiSTer per the instructions. I don't know if the new one is fixed or not, but I also have to start and stop the casting a few times to get a clear image. It has corrupt lines sometimes, but once it is working, it seems to stay working.

psakhis
Core Developer

Unread post by psakhis »

Mr.Pacman wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:01 pm

Does anybody have an idea what might be causing this?

We need some logs. Some users on W11 modified lan properties and disabled all save power options.
Can you do a ping test? Less than 1ms is needed

KennyL

Unread post by KennyL »

thorr wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:52 pm

I recently tried to go to the 0325 version and also the 0327 version and could not get it to work. I followed the instructions. Putting the original one back worked again. I think it locked up when I tried if I recall correctly. I am hoping I can eventually get the new versions to work, but I am not sure what could be causing my problem. I didn't change the Mame installation at all, just the MiSTer per the instructions. I don't know if the new one is fixed or not, but I also have to start and stop the casting a few times to get a clear image. It has corrupt lines sometimes, but once it is working, it seems to stay working.

Did you try 20240401 updates? I had similar issue because I missed that MiSTer_groovy update.

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

KennyL wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:37 pm

Did you try 20240401 updates? I had similar issue because I missed that MiSTer_groovy update.

Thanks! No, I haven't tried the latest yet. I will give it a shot later this evening, and if I still have issues, I will describe exactly what I did and what the behavior is.

Edit: Tried it tonight and got the latest one working. (Yay!) I think the issue was that I didn't know where to get the latest MiSTer Main file and the one I grabbed last time wasn't the right one or something. I would get ini file errors on the screen. I still don't know where to get the latest, but I found this one and it worked: https://github.com/spark2k06/Main_MiSTe ... r_20240331

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

A couple of issues that I am having with the new version:

• Many of the games have black frames and/or red-colored bars showing up at the top of the screen like in Donkey Kong every second or so, but Discs of Tron works fine. I think the red at the top is the same red as when I alt tab away from Groovy Mame. So it is as if it can't draw the screen fast enough to maintain it.
  • When I exit Groovy Mame, the mouse cursor won't go past the edge of where the Mame menu window used to be. I can Alt-Tab and then move the mouse further.

The graphics no longer take several attempts to get a clean signal which is a nice improvement. However the flickering described in the first bullet above is a step backwards. I have <1ms pings and my power settings are set to best performance. I am not sure where to get logs if they are needed. MiSTerCast seems to work fine. The problem is with Groovy Mame.

psakhis
Core Developer

Unread post by psakhis »

thorr wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:45 am

A couple of issues that I am having with the new version:

• Many of the games have black frames and/or red-colored bars showing up at the top of the screen like in Donkey Kong every second or so...

I think you don't have correct options on mame.ini.

Code: Select all

autosync                 0
throttle                 0
syncrefresh              1
sleep                    0
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

psakhis wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:34 pm

I think you don't have correct options on mame.ini.

Code: Select all

sleep                    0

Thanks! I didn't see the sleep 0 anywhere in the documentation. I tried that and it seemed to possibly help, but I had to wait about 30 seconds to a minute for the screen to settle down with the glitching then it was fine. Maybe it was like that before too, but I am not sure.

So what I did then was backup my mame.ini and rename it, then type mame -cc to generate a new one. I put all the changes in for Groovy MiSTer. Re-initialzing wiped out all of my settings all over the place so I had to figure out how to get everything back to working again (namely changing the keyboard provider to win32 so it would work with my bluetooth keyboard and my rotation settings aren't working anymore).

Setting mister_interlaced_fb to 0 caused the issue with the corrupt display on random attempts when starting mame. Changing it to 1 makes the graphics clear every time.

The only thing I can't figure out is how to get my screen to auto-rotate. I am not sure if this was working before or if I changed it per game. I turned on all the rotate options except the flip ones, but when starting games, they are showing vertically on my horizontal display. In the game, I can rotate it CW or CCW, but I thought this should happen automatically with any game but maybe I am remembering wrong.

Anyway, bottomline, after re-initializing with mame -cc, my repeated screen glitches are gone. Thanks for your help!

tritanium1

Unread post by tritanium1 »

With joystick support in the latest build, does anyone know, or has tried to pass MiSTercade inputs to PC (GroovyMame)? It would be nice to have a single solution for both options running on a Jamma arcade machine.