Groovy_MiSTer Core

psakhis
Core Developer

Re: Groovy_MiSTer Core

Unread post by psakhis »

tritanium1 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:49 am

With joystick support in the latest build, does anyone know, or has tried to pass MiSTercade inputs to PC (GroovyMame)? It would be nice to have a single solution for both options running on a Jamma arcade machine.

Some user on Discord tested fine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=ncOWXkXIg68

RiotRay

Unread post by RiotRay »

Well, this is a nice feature, but it surely does add lots of latency, right??
If you have your setup close together (mister+pc) it`s certainly totally unnecessary to make use of this.

Neocaron

Unread post by Neocaron »

Latency on a local network can be very very low, so I don't thinks its a problem. The data that goes back and forth is also very limited soI wouldn't worry about that too much, it's a nice feature for people who have a PC in a different room like me for exemple. I have my editing room which has my main PC and 2 CRTs and now with this I cast my PC to the living room on my bigger CRTs using the Mister. This is absolutely awesome.

RiotRay

Unread post by RiotRay »

@Neocaron

If this is no issue at all I ask myself why it was with the "steam link". Games were playable as long they werent fast shooters that required quick reactions. And thats what mame and arcade games are all about, right?
The "steam link" wasnt exactly my favourite way to play games, where is the difference to GroovyMister? Controller data have to go all the way through the whole network in any case. But Im really surprised how well this works with the video and sound data from groovy mame...

tritanium1

Unread post by tritanium1 »

Wow, that's really, really cool! Best of both worlds! I'll have to give that a shot myself.

The Opponent

Unread post by The Opponent »

Are there any recommendations for watching video in 480i resolutions? I can play games in interlaced resolutions using GroovyMAME without any issues greater than an occasional frame drop, but capturing MPC-BE with MiSTerCast causes immediate failure of the stream on all resolutions above 320 x 240.

Neocaron

Unread post by Neocaron »

RiotRay wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:48 pm

@Neocaron

If this is no issue at all I ask myself why it was with the "steam link". Games were playable as long they werent fast shooters that required quick reactions. And thats what mame and arcade games are all about, right?
The "steam link" wasnt exactly my favourite way to play games, where is the difference to GroovyMister? Controller data have to go all the way through the whole network in any case. But Im really surprised how well this works with the video and sound data from groovy mame...

You make some good points, but steam link works amazingly well on my setup as long I don't use wifi, you can have 16ms of latency or less on the same network, the data rate is also quite smaller here so it probably has a smaller footprint overall. I actually use Parsec on a daily basis on my local network to have access to main rig at all time and total latency is 10ms with an eternet cable and 35ms on wifi. And that's for a 1440p signal, I'm guessing a 480i signal would fair as well or better.

KennyL

Unread post by KennyL »

Usbip going from mister to linux pc adds around 0.33-0.50 ms according to Calamity so I'm guessing groovy mister implementation could be something similar. Would be interesting to see lag test but I think it feels pretty good.

KennyL

Unread post by KennyL »

The Opponent wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:43 pm

Are there any recommendations for watching video in 480i resolutions? I can play games in interlaced resolutions using GroovyMAME without any issues greater than an occasional frame drop, but capturing MPC-BE with MiSTerCast causes immediate failure of the stream on all resolutions above 320 x 240.

Are you using latest builds?

https://github.com/psakhis/Groovy_MiSTe ... /hps_linux

https://github.com/psakhis/Groovy_MiSTe ... s/20240401

Flain

Unread post by Flain »

RiotRay wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:03 pm

Well, this is a nice feature, but it surely does add lots of latency, right??
If you have your setup close together (mister+pc) it`s certainly totally unnecessary to make use of this.

I did the test video - It's very low latency, i can't notice any at all. Those who have done actual tests put it around 3ms.

psakhis
Core Developer

Unread post by psakhis »

To be honest we didn't mesured inputs latency, we need implement keyboard to do that with gilt.

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Is this integrated into the main MiSTer main, or do we still need to have a special one at this point? There have been some framework updates lately and I am wondering if this is built in along with them. If not, is it planned to be integrated eventually? Thanks!

psakhis
Core Developer

Unread post by psakhis »

thorr wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:17 pm

Is this integrated into the main MiSTer main, or do we still need to have a special one at this point? There have been some framework updates lately and I am wondering if this is built in along with them. If not, is it planned to be integrated eventually? Thanks!

Sorg implemented custom binary per core, so you can have more than one MiSTer main now. Atm it's on unstable main only.

see https://github.com/psakhis/Groovy_MiSTe ... /hps_linux

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

psakhis wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:31 pm
thorr wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:17 pm

Sorg implemented custom binary per core, so you can have more than one MiSTer main now. Atm it's on unstable main only.

see https://github.com/psakhis/Groovy_MiSTe ... /hps_linux

Edit: Disregard the below. I missed the Atm it's on unstable main only. Thanks!

Thanks! Is this custom binary per core in the latest update_all MiSTer file or do you need the latest daily to get it? I guess that is what I am asking. I am worried that it might be a change that is still in the pipeline and update_all could overwrite MiSTer with an older version that is missing the functionality that will come out later.

The Opponent

KennyL wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:39 am
The Opponent wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:43 pm

Are you using latest builds?

https://github.com/psakhis/Groovy_MiSTe ... /hps_linux

https://github.com/psakhis/Groovy_MiSTe ... s/20240401

I tried the most recent stable and testing builds, but it seems I get slightly better results with the stable build.

KennyL

Unread post by KennyL »

Double check if you're using gigabit ethernet cable. On task manager see if you can go over 100mbps.

The Opponent

I've discovered multiple faults with my home network. I'll need to replace a good amount of equipment before continuing with this.

seastalker

Unread post by seastalker »

TODAY: Managed to get Groovy core running with animation screen but never got mame to 'cast'

I have a mame262 build with roms and no CHDS.
Updated mister with Update_all with success.
Followed Lu's and VGE's guides for setup (and was sure not to skip steps per VGE)
Had to wing it based on updates since video(s) release dates- [Ie. tried 20240125 (stable) AND 20240401]
Renamed main Mister .BAK and put new one from psakhis' test builds (not the regular unstable 'mister' file)
Made sure all parameters in the 'mame.exe Shortcut' were set with proper spacing

Tried with 'groovymame_0262.220a_win-7-8-10', and with 'mame_nogpu_28.7z' and 'mame_nogpu_24.7z'. No .rbf test release files worked beyond the color graphic animation. ALL I am getting is what I wrote in the first line of the post. No combination of replacement unstable MISTER files, nor .rbf files get this to work as intended.

PC screen shows Mame running games in the little window as expected but nothing shows in the core. I have good Ethernet cables, a GREAT router...

Anyone? I especially want to get this set up with MAME and then get media playing on the CRT.

KennyL

Unread post by KennyL »

seastalker wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:55 am

Tried with 'groovymame_0262.220a_win-7-8-10', and with 'mame_nogpu_28.7z' and 'mame_nogpu_24.7z'. No .rbf test release files worked beyond the color graphic animation. ALL I am getting is what I wrote in the first line of

Try GroovyMAME 0.264 - Switchres 2.220b

https://github.com/antonioginer/GroovyMAME/releases

Backup mame.ini, copy over mame_mister.ini and rename it to mame.ini. Put your mister ip address inside. I suggest also setting mister_window to 1 and interlace to 0. Just double click mame.exe to run, don't need to add all the command line stuff.

seastalker

Thank you KennyL! Everything you wrote below the link makes total sense and I did just that. Still no luck yet.

I should determine if this is a Mame/groovymame issue or a setup issue with the Groovy_MiSTer core.

MAME ISSUE?
To clarify, I downloaded the newer GroovyMame ver 264 you linked. When unzipped, I basically have a new Mame build folder AND my old regular MAME 262 build. Obviously the old 262 one has the folders filled while the brand new one's folders are basically empty folders/subfolders. [I also know most if not all of my MAME 0.262 roms will work if they are running on Mame 0.262 vs 0.264]

I can copy/paste the newly downloaded GroovyMame folders' mame.exe into my older 262 build's root without naming conflict. I can also delete and/or replace the mostly unpopulated folders in the new ver. 264 Groovymame build with those from my 'old' regular mame's ver. 262.

I can also copy/drag and drop all the extra files that aren't folders (nltool.exe, romcmp.exe etc) in either build's root folders to replace it all.

I'll address the Groovy_MiSTer core side only if the MAME side doesn't sort the issue. On the PC, Mame loads as do games (both picture and sound) just fine. The little window instead of fullscreen PC monitor as expected. Static IP address is set in .ini and verified (matching as it has for years in ftp, retroNAS etc). PC and Mister are both hardwired to router. Nothing showing on MiSTer side yet. Ideas?

KennyL

Unread post by KennyL »

Try ping and run mistercast to see if your pc is indeed linking to your mister. If it does ping but mistercast doesn't work then I suggest double checking firewall.

seastalker

On the positive, I WAS able to get one behavior change in GroovyMiSTer after disabling the MiSTer firewall - now when I launch GroovyMame, the bouncing logo goes away as if it is ready to accept a signal, except nothing appeared. I just now thought you may have meant my OS firewall, and now got GroovyMAME working!! THANK YOU! It was a firewall issue -allowing GroovyMAME as a program exception on the OS side was the holdup.

I was waiting on trying MiSTerCast until I got GroovyMame/Mister working. Watched VGE's tutorial video and read the documentation.

Installed the VC_redist file, then loaded up MiSTerCast 1.0
Though I don't see a ping option, I presume you mean just enter the MiSTer IP and see if I can get things running. Already have an issue under logs:

Initializing MiSTerCast
DxgiOutput1->DuplicateOutput failed: -2005270524 Failed to initialize video capture
SetModeline called

Then, funny enough- I am unable to close MiSTerCast.exe at all... unless I hit 'Start Stream' and then the program crashes; here, I can close the crashed program. Changes to the dropdown Display 1 to other options also crash the program outright. Just for fun, I then saw the latest GroovyMister had a version 1.01 test version of MiSTerCast which repeats everything above exactly as ver 1.0.

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Is there a way to pre-define all of your custom monitor timings based on your monitor for switchres? On batocera, there is a CRT utility where you center and resize the screen and then it auto-generates all the modelines for the arcade cores based on that information. Perhaps I could grab these from batocera somehow and place them in a mame folder somewhere, but I don't know how to do this. Thanks!

Quark999

Unread post by Quark999 »

seastalker wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:11 pm

On the positive, I WAS able to get one behavior change in GroovyMiSTer after disabling the MiSTer firewall - now when I launch GroovyMame, the bouncing logo goes away as if it is ready to accept a signal, except nothing appeared.

I have the exact same behaviour - I have turned off the Mister firewall and have tried from two different PCs (including a firewall exception for MisterCast), but nothing appears on the Mister screen. I get the bouncing ball until I "Start Stream" from Mistercast, and depending on which Mistercast modeline I use I even get the Monitor to switch resolutions, but the screen then just goes black and Mistercast just sits on "Sending CMD_SWITCHRES" and nothing else happens.
Is there a log somewhere - I see a groovy.log in /var/log on the Mister, but that's empty.

psakhis
Core Developer

Unread post by psakhis »

Hi, with test GroovyMister builds, only MiSTerCast beta is working.

Check all these builds. https://github.com/psakhis/Groovy_MiSTe ... s/20240401

seastalker

Just tried with "MiSTerCast_1_01_New_Lz4_Test.zip" and am getting the same results again - crashes program and note in red [in previous post above]

Quark999

Unread post by Quark999 »

psakhis wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:54 pm

I can confirm that with all the files matching, from this link, MiSTerCast is working. Mednafen for example still isn't - is that GroovyMister build in there ONLY compatible with that MiSTerCast and nothing else?

psakhis
Core Developer

Unread post by psakhis »

Quark999 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:58 pm
psakhis wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:54 pm

I can confirm that with all the files matching, from this link, MiSTerCast is working. Mednafen for example still isn't - is that GroovyMister build in there ONLY compatible with that MiSTerCast and nothing else?

Do you enabled mister on mednafen settings? Always when i uploaded a new test build, Mednafen it's the first one.

In a few days we release Retroarch .

psakhis
Core Developer

Unread post by psakhis »

seastalker wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:34 pm

Just tried with "MiSTerCast_1_01_New_Lz4_Test.zip" and am getting the same results again - crashes program and note in red [in previous post above]

I think this error "DxgiOutput1->DuplicateOutput failed: -2005270524 Failed to initialize video capture" is related if you have 2 gpus.

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Just had a major wish list idea: Can you make it so that Mame games can be launched from the MiSTer Favorites folder in the MiSTer menu? (I used the favorites.sh script to put favorites in there). The idea would be to have the PC already up and running with Mame and then from the MiSTer side, launch the game from the Favorites and have it start GroovyMame and call up the corresponding Mame game? Then it would look and act sort of like a native MiSTer game would along with everything else in the Favorites folder.