Analog IO Board, Arcade CRT and Screen Issue With Some Cores [Solved]

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
pilesofspam

Analog IO Board, Arcade CRT and Screen Issue With Some Cores [Solved]

Unread post by pilesofspam »

Here's an interesting one, to me at least. I've had my Mister for a few years, but recently decided to build up my dream cab. This consists of:

1. MisterFPGA
  2. Single RAM board
  3. Analog IO board
  4. WG model 25K7193 (K7000 series standard res)
  5. USB hub

What I'm trying to do is build a cabinet that features horizontal arcades & consoles, and select classic computers (Apple II, C64, etc) and I have controls specific to each available- all of this seems to work pretty well except for some of the arcade cores.

I recently updated to the most recent Mister (which is awesome, thank you team!) and left everything at the default. I have the Sync on Green switch set to off, and besides RGB and Ground my Hsync and Vsync wires are connected to +Hsync and +Vsync on the K7000.

The best place to see what I'm talking about is to bring up "Joust" and "Defender" (I'll post pictures in a followup)

Joust looks good- colors are bit off, but my monitor needs some adjustment, I can handle this.

Defender on the other hand... the top half of the screen is titlted at 45 degrees, and at about halfway down the screen, it becomes perfect for the bottom half of the picture. Many games are like this.

Although it doesn't apply to me, I notice almost all vertical games (Donkey Kong for example) are of course sideways (since my monitor is sitting that way) but there's a tremendous warp in the middle of the screen. I'm not going to run vertical games on this cab, so it's not that important, but may give some hints for troubleshooting.

Any ideas?

pilesofspam

Re: Analog IO Board, Arcade CRT and Screen Issue With Some Cores [Solved]

So here's Joust, colors look off (and they are somewhat) but in this frame it's more camera timing than actual colors.

IMG_4022.jpg
IMG_4022.jpg (157.12 KiB) Viewed 1694 times

Next Defender and Donkey Kong, which are clearly warped on top. Anyone ever see this?

IMG_4028.jpg
IMG_4028.jpg (222.18 KiB) Viewed 1694 times
IMG_4023.jpg
IMG_4023.jpg (164.5 KiB) Viewed 1694 times
Xbytez
Site Admin

Unread post by Xbytez »

What happens to the wavy image if you adjust the Horiz Hold / Vert Hold pots on the CRT's chassis?

pilesofspam

Awesome question! The answer is that with Hhold I can get the top half level, but it's definitely not "right". The Vhold just gives me 'Scrolling screen/steady screen' past a threshold, it doesn't improve the image. Using HPOS affects the top half of the screen more than the bottom half, so I can align the two halves, but I still have that dip/smear in the middle, and the entire image is pushed too far right. Here's the best I can get with those adjustments:

IMG_4030.jpg
IMG_4030.jpg (206.38 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
pilesofspam

Issue solved. Turns out my HSYNC and VSYNC were reversed. I'm really surprised it worked as well as it did (Palm slap on forehead). Thank you Xbytes for the hint!

IMG_4031.jpg
IMG_4031.jpg (168.49 KiB) Viewed 1477 times
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Hahaha, that is bizarre, can't blame you for not expecting that to be the cause of the problem.