PWM on 18-bit DAC to get 24-bit Color

Discussion of developmental aspects of the MiSTer Project.
Neocaron

Re: PWM on 18-bit DAC to get 24-bit Color

Unread post by Neocaron »

This not being in main still blows my mind XD

dickhardpill

Unread post by dickhardpill »

Ruleset wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 5:45 pm
naylord wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:08 am

Would you be able to do a final update on the Saturn core when the core gets buttoned up? Feels like were in the homestretch of development and it would be amazing to have PWM on the final or near final release so it could be the definitive way of playing Saturn games.
Thanks so much again!

I'll make new builds probably about once a month if there are updates. Cores are updated to latest source today.

You are awesome! Thank you it looks pretty darn amazing!

naylord

Unread post by naylord »

One question, the PWM feature does work with forced_scandoubler right? That's not like a VGA scaler since it just line doubles without needing to do any extra scaling of any kind. To my eye it looks like banding is improved on the Saturn core with scandoubler on with pwm core vs vanilla but I thought I'd double check it's not a placebo if scandoubler disables it like VGA_Scaler does.

Ruleset

Unread post by Ruleset »

naylord wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:44 am

One question, the PWM feature does work with forced_scandoubler right? That's not like a VGA scaler since it just line doubles without needing to do any extra scaling of any kind. To my eye it looks like banding is improved on the Saturn core with scandoubler on with pwm core vs vanilla but I thought I'd double check it's not a placebo if scandoubler disables it like VGA_Scaler does.

Yes, the scandoubler doesn't use the scaler as far a I know, so PWM should work. What games are you testing on Saturn that show a difference? I only could find the FMV in the japanese version of Castlevania that showed less banding, but I didn't try too many games.

metalfacemark

Unread post by metalfacemark »

Thanks, just had a play with this - looks great!

naylord

Unread post by naylord »

Ruleset wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:47 pm
naylord wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:44 am

Yes, the scandoubler doesn't use the scaler as far a I know, so PWM should work. What games are you testing on Saturn that show a difference? I only could find the FMV in the japanese version of Castlevania that showed less banding, but I didn't try too many games.

I was playing Panzer Dragoon Zwei and it looked like banding was reduced in the FMV. I'll try booting up castlevania as the grey fog in the opening cutscene is a very obvious place to see tons of banding.

Dr Johnny Bananas

Unread post by Dr Johnny Bananas »

This is very interesting, Saturn is my favorite core. I'm going to try these tonight.

Thank you!