nymous

Re: 0MHz DOS Collection 2024.03.20 Released

Unread post by nymous »

Please do not forget that SoundCanvas also counts for mt32-pi

Emubastard

Unread post by Emubastard »

Jools wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:31 am

Hi, i made a quick shot for the 0MHz Logo, hope you like it.

Im actually not an owner of a MISTER – came here by searching for Analogue Pocket cores. I LOVE the AMIGAVISION-Project and would be very proud, if i could contribute to a similar project.0MHz_logo_v01_2024-03-23.png

This is cool.

I leave it up to @lemi

Peer pressure. Get a mister and create DOS vhd's :)

-Emubastard

Emubastard

MiSTerTea wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:24 am
  1. Space Quest IV has some trouble/glitching with the speech in the intro. I don't think this is specific to the 0MHz release but if someone is aware of a solution to this, it would be great.

I know that certain parts of this game are time-based and can be even impossible to pass at higher CPU speeds, but the speech works fine in other parts of the game so it may be related to something other than the speed.

Also there is a floppy version of this game which has a number of differences from the CD version and it would be good to have an has an option.

Let me talk about Space Quest 4. What a nightmare. So I finally got it working nicely.

Patched applied from here: https://spacequest.net/sq4/patches/

Audio repeating and skipping: Forced the core to user Sound Blaster Pro (instead of SB16)

Pops and Clicks Patch: https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=49810

It seems to run so much better now. The PCM speech is not as loud as I'd like it compared to the background music but you can't have everything.

All the timing issues should be addressed.

Hope this helps.

-Emubastard

Emubastard

1. The Space Quest III version is good however there is a version allowing the Sound Blaster for PCM/Speech (Which plays the "Where Am I" voice part in the intro).
    ---

We certainly are interested in "interesting" corner cases like this where alternate versions are considered better or different for exactly these reasons.

-Emubastard

Emubastard

1. I'm not sure if this was discussed before, but the setup/install/configuration files are missing so sound options and such cannot be changed by the user without importing files or other extra work. I'm curious about the decision behind this.

I believe these setup files are small/tiny and serve a very useful purpose for those who want to change settings. As well, install/setup included is how the game 'shipped' and would be good to have even if just for preservation/nostalgia.

I believe that people who grew up with these DOS games would want this, as well, people new to DOS and are learning how it all works would be served better if these install/setup files existed for them to try out.

I guess I'm clueless here. No files have been removed.

As for options, the thinking was this. Choose the best default options for the largest group of users, which usually means VGA and SoundBlaster 16.

The games are set up like booters so wherever possible, you don't have to make any choices or have knowledge about old DOS computers to jump into a game. I understand this is a rather nebulous goal since not all games can be made to do this and you sometimes have to chose some options to get going. But anything to smooth the process is being attempted.

MT-32 support was not initially considered because it was a niche in a niche and we wanted to reach the widest audience possible. It is however being considered for later addition, as we do enjoy MT-32 sound. Much has already been said here on how to do this effectively.

There are collections for different purposes I imagine, but this is how we wanted to set this one up. The Top 300 collection gives you numerous setup options for each game for example.

-Emubastard

Emubastard

Strike Commander - Fixed Mouse
Colonization - Removed useless CHD

Some new configs added:

The Simpsons
Duke Nukem Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
Crazy Cars III also known as Lamborghini American Challenge
Blues Brothers
A-Train

New Stuff coming all the time.

-Emubastard

Alkadian
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alkadian »

Emubastard wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:58 pm

Strike Commander - Fixed Mouse
Colonization - Removed useless CHD

Some new configs added:

The Simpsons
Duke Nukem Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
Crazy Cars III also known as Lamborghini American Challenge
Blues Brothers
A-Train

New Stuff coming all the time.

-Emubastard

Fantastic, many thanks!

MiSTerTea

Unread post by MiSTerTea »

Emubastard wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:50 pm
  1. I'm not sure if this was discussed before, but the setup/install/configuration files are missing so sound options and such cannot be changed by the user without importing files or other extra work. I'm curious about the decision behind this.

I believe these setup files are small/tiny and serve a very useful purpose for those who want to change settings. As well, install/setup included is how the game 'shipped' and would be good to have even if just for preservation/nostalgia.

I guess I'm clueless here. No files have been removed.

As for options, the thinking was this. Choose the best default options for the largest group of users, which usually means VGA and SoundBlaster 16.

The games are set up like booters so wherever possible, you don't have to make any choices or have knowledge about old DOS computers to jump into a game. I understand this is a rather nebulous goal since not all games can be made to do this and you sometimes have to chose some options to get going. But anything to smooth the process is being attempted.

MT-32 support was not initially considered because it was a niche in a niche and we wanted to reach the widest audience possible. It is however being considered for later addition, as we do enjoy MT-32 sound. Much has already been said here on how to do this effectively.

There are collections for different purposes I imagine, but this is how we wanted to set this one up. The Top 300 collection gives you numerous setup options for each game for example.

-Emubastard

Thanks for all your work on this. I like the idea behind the 'booters' and getting the games running without the choices for people who just want to jump in.

Personally I like there to be the possibility for changing settings especially for Sierra games since they were very much into using MT-32 Music and designed their games to be played with MT-32 for the best experience.

I tried a bunch of other games later on and they all had their setup/install/configuration files there! It appears I just had luck picking games that didn't have the install/setup files and had assumed someone was manually deleting them to save space.

The version of Space Quest III that I had long ago used an install (Black/White) to configure the settings:

WK5C5OZ.png
WK5C5OZ.png (14.25 KiB) Viewed 2417 times

Here's an updated version of the Space Quest III.zip with the same defaults but can now play the 'Where Am I' speech and also includes the MTBLAST.DRV and the install.exe file for configuration:

https://archive.org/details/space-quest-3_202403

Shaneus

Unread post by Shaneus »

I've already posted this in the github as an issue, but some people might find this useful. The following is a joystick-keyboard input mapper that works within DOS 7.1 that is used with the 0MHz collection:
https://szanella.tripod.com/joyemueng.htm

PS. I haven't noticed it in this thread (TBH I haven't followed it too closely) but is there an easy enough way for us to upload configs and VHDs etc.? I managed to get the above working with Tempest 2000. The built-in joystick support doesn't quite play right with ao486, but using JoyEmu and configuring mappings that line up with the T2K config everything works perfectly. Even 4 button support is flawless given the game needs 3 buttons, but I think the game only supports 2 via joystick support.

Bas
Top Contributor

Unread post by Bas »

What software does this collection use to generate the initial VHD file? I noticed, much to my relief, that the one I randomly picked (Colonization) is an actual VHD instead of a raw image with the wrong extension. Three cheers for that! :D :D :D

I pulled it through DOSContainer and this is what my VHD implementation thought of it:

Code: Select all

Disk metadata according to VHD footer

Features           : Reserved
VHD Format version : 65536
Data offset        : 18446744073709551615
Timestamp          : 2024-02-27T05:17:29+00:00
Creator app        : win 
Creator version    : 655360
Creator OS         : Windows
Original size      : 12582912
Current size       : 12582912
Geometry           : Cylinder: 361 Head: 4 Sector: 17
Disk type          : Fixed hard disk
Checksum           : 4294961080
Uuid               : 6576d6ca-900b-284a-9109-1e27e42ad71b
Saved state        : false

To improve my analyzer I'd like to know what 'win' means in the field 'creator app'. It's also interesting to see that the 'features' flag is wonky and 'Data offset' is something other than 0 in my output, which is wrong according to the VHD 1.0 spec (which is already quite ancient). Something is wrong either in this file or in my code (the prime suspect) in any case because the VHD Format version is equal to the 1.0 spec and I'm following that to the letter. That won't be a problem on AO486, but I want my analyzer to not choke on files from the wider community. Any info would be helpful.

KOLWE-X

Unread post by KOLWE-X »

Will other languages possibly be added as well? I think the project is great, but especially with DOS games, there are so many with German texts and even voiceovers. It would be fantastic if something could be added in the foreseeable future. Thank you very much.

nymous

Unread post by nymous »

MiSTerTea wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:27 am

It appears I just had luck picking games that didn't have the install/setup files and had assumed someone was manually deleting them to save space.

Some games probably used CLI options instead of configs. Like the Monkey Island. Try to run main executable with /? to find out.

8tpercent

Unread post by 8tpercent »

Just in case these utilities help with memory... https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Us ... _utilities

remax

Unread post by remax »

Where can we provide game we converted ?

I made Striker and Eric Cantona Striker 2 from Rage Software.

Jools

Unread post by Jools »

Emubastard wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:22 pm
Jools wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:31 am

Hi, i made a quick shot for the 0MHz Logo, hope you like it.

Im actually not an owner of a MISTER – came here by searching for Analogue Pocket cores. I LOVE the AMIGAVISION-Project and would be very proud, if i could contribute to a similar project.0MHz_logo_v01_2024-03-23.png

This is cool.

I leave it up to @lemi

Peer pressure. Get a mister and create DOS vhd's :)

-Emubastard

"Peer pressure. Get a mister and create DOS vhd's :)"
Yes, i already hovered above the BUY-NOW-Button several times :)

I made a new version of the logo – i like the idea of showing the "unused" led of the digital number but unfortunately it also can lead to some misunderstanding: if it is too strong you can rad 88, if it is too weak, you can not see it. I put the whole thing in a box, to hold the Logo together, if the "ghost digit" is not visilble enough (like in the mockup).

Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-24 um 17.56.15.png
Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-24 um 17.56.15.png (107.71 KiB) Viewed 2213 times
Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-24 um 17.55.58.png
Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-24 um 17.55.58.png (1.24 MiB) Viewed 2213 times
Emubastard

Bas wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:29 am

What software does this collection use to generate the initial VHD file? I noticed, much to my relief, that the one I randomly picked (Colonization) is an actual VHD instead of a raw image with the wrong extension. Three cheers for that! :D :D :D

I pulled it through DOSContainer and this is what my VHD implementation thought of it:

Code: Select all

Disk metadata according to VHD footer

Features           : Reserved
VHD Format version : 65536
Data offset        : 18446744073709551615
Timestamp          : 2024-02-27T05:17:29+00:00
Creator app        : win 
Creator version    : 655360
Creator OS         : Windows
Original size      : 12582912
Current size       : 12582912
Geometry           : Cylinder: 361 Head: 4 Sector: 17
Disk type          : Fixed hard disk
Checksum           : 4294961080
Uuid               : 6576d6ca-900b-284a-9109-1e27e42ad71b
Saved state        : false

To improve my analyzer I'd like to know what 'win' means in the field 'creator app'. It's also interesting to see that the 'features' flag is wonky and 'Data offset' is something other than 0 in my output, which is wrong according to the VHD 1.0 spec (which is already quite ancient). Something is wrong either in this file or in my code (the prime suspect) in any case because the VHD Format version is equal to the 1.0 spec and I'm following that to the letter. That won't be a problem on AO486, but I want my analyzer to not choke on files from the wider community. Any info would be helpful.

VHD's are generated manually by Windows 11 Disk Management utility so they are indeed real VHD's. Easier to work on when I have issues to fix, which there are many lol.

-Emubastard

Emubastard

Here's an updated version of the Space Quest III.zip with the same defaults but can now play the 'Where Am I' speech and also includes the MTBLAST.DRV and the install.exe file for configuration:

https://archive.org/details/space-quest-3_202403

Done.

Bas
Top Contributor

Unread post by Bas »

Emubastard wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:52 pm

VHD's are generated manually by Windows 11 Disk Management utility so they are indeed real VHD's. Easier to work on when I have issues to fix, which there are many lol.

-Emubastard

Wouldn't be the first time MS don't follow their very own specs. Thanks for letting me know.

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Speaking of file systems and formatting, I’ll just leave this here 😉

lixir

Unread post by lixir »

Guys, when I launch a game I have this stretched rez, and when I choose fullscreen I got glitches and bad colors not corresponding.
Do you know If I can configure the aspect ratio somewhere in a cfg ? Thanks

PS : I have this issue on all games

IMG-8581.jpg
IMG-8581.jpg (3.95 MiB) Viewed 1751 times
IMG-8582.jpg
IMG-8582.jpg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 1751 times
Emubastard

I had issues with aspect ratios on my CRT. I don't know what's going on with the colors, but the ao486 uses the scaler unfortunately. Try adjusting the "aspect ratio" and "scale" options.

Colors are strange. I had no issue with colors.

If you do get working settings, be sure to save them so they apply to all games. This may need to be adjusted in the future for all CRT users.

-Emubastard

lixir

Unread post by lixir »

Thank you.
I tried different configurations but nothing seems to be working.
I had no issues with the old AO486 process, but I prefer a 100 times your approach, it's too bad I get this aspect issue.
I hope there will be a solution soon.

inter5tella

Unread post by inter5tella »

KOLWE-X wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:40 am

Will other languages possibly be added as well? I think the project is great, but especially with DOS games, there are so many with German texts and even voiceovers. It would be fantastic if something could be added in the foreseeable future. Thank you very much.

I guess that would be possible. But, it makes the maintenance of the archive harder for the uploader. Because, if there is any changes in the scripts or filesystem that makes it necessary to repack and reupload all titles, there will be then additional ones to care if you have a full scope of multi-languages per title.

For myself, I've already successfully tested der German versions of Alone in the Dark using the English VHDs and even found room to enhance the use of the installed DOS system. Sharing these feedbacks in the project's git hub is key. As soon as you get the drill on how to make a basic DOS package and create pre-defined VHDs, you can easily adopt it to create your own local language collection.

remax wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:58 pm

Where can we provide game we converted ?

I made Striker and Eric Cantona Striker 2 from Rage Software.

The project is using a straight foward basic DOS setup that is applied to all games, with some smaller changes for some particular titles.

If everyone would be allowed to upload their title to the project, will no longer allow consistency. You've to define a stable configuaration for a lightweight OS, using proper drivers and memory managers and keep a solid file sorting.
Also, you want to do a clean up before packing, because not everyone wants to have the savegames or garbage files of an previous player.

So, I suggest you post your request in the project's git hub https://github.com/0mhz-net/0mhz-collection/issues/5 and let the owner do a 'lil bit of research to create a package that is aligned with the project's standards.

virtuali

Unread post by virtuali »

inter5tella wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:34 pm

The project is using a straight foward basic DOS setup that is applied to all games, with some smaller changes for some particular titles.

Sorry, but isn't this kind of contradicting the main point of this collection that each game can have a completely different Dos configuration without affecting the other games? That's the main attraction of packaging in separate VHDs.

Fuzzball

Unread post by Fuzzball »

Is there a "dummies guide" for adding other titles? I was all for setting up my own DOS collection but it's turned out to be more work than I had envisaged so thought I would try 0mhz instead. It's just missing a few titles I would like to include.

inter5tella

Unread post by inter5tella »

virtuali wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:20 pm

Sorry, but isn't this kind of contradicting the main point of this collection that each game can have a completely different Dos configuration without affecting the other games? That's the main attraction of packaging in separate VHDs.

Indeed, the single packages make it possible to have different setups with own settings. Don't get me wrong, I just wanted to mention that for now nearly all packages do share the same settings, what isn't bad because they're working perfectly for nearly all released titles so far.

But what you also want to have, is a to-go solid setup that can be reused as a starter for each and every new rollout/title, and make smaller changes fitting the title's requirements.

Bas
Top Contributor

Unread post by Bas »

Not to hijack this one, but the DOSContainer Bash version with the YAML's for bare MS-DOS could do what you're looking for. Edit the YAML, run script, and you have a clean DOS with some toggles like drivers and memory mgt and the like. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

ItalianGrandma

Unread post by ItalianGrandma »

Fuzzball wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:42 pm

Is there a "dummies guide" for adding other titles? I was all for setting up my own DOS collection but it's turned out to be more work than I had envisaged so thought I would try 0mhz instead. It's just missing a few titles I would like to include.

It's not an exact step-by-step explaining every tiny bit of the process, but it should be enough to get you started: viewtopic.php?p=84617#p84617

The main things you might have to figure out are how to mount VHDs in Windows (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windo ... tach-a-vhd) and I'd suggest a text editor like Notepad++ for editing MGL files (though Notepad may work just fine, actually).

remax

Unread post by remax »

If everyone would be allowed to upload their title to the project, will no longer allow consistency. You've to define a stable configuaration for a lightweight OS, using proper drivers and memory managers and keep a solid file sorting.
Also, you want to do a clean up before packing, because not everyone wants to have the savegames or garbage files of an previous player.

So, I suggest you post your request in the project's git hub https://github.com/0mhz-net/0mhz-collection/issues/5 and let the owner do a 'lil bit of research to create a package that is aligned with the project's standards.

I made sure to be aligned with already existing packs and as clean as it can be (even better than some pack of the collections where i found remnant dosbox files)...

It's a game that is quite hard to configure (even on a real pc) so i think providing an already functionning vhd can help making the pack much faster.

Anyway, i just noticed that the game was crashing after some time during gameplay, so i'll keep investigating (perhaps by changing the extender if it use one).

Fuzzball

Unread post by Fuzzball »

ItalianGrandma wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:12 pm

It's not an exact step-by-step explaining every tiny bit of the process, but it should be enough to get you started: viewtopic.php?p=84617#p84617

The main things you might have to figure out are how to mount VHDs in Windows (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windo ... tach-a-vhd) and I'd suggest a text editor like Notepad++ for editing MGL files (though Notepad may work just fine, actually).

Thanks. I'll take a look.

How do game saves work? Are they in each individual VHD? What if I wanted to backup the game saves of all installed games?