Black Screen Blues

WPL

Black Screen Blues

Unread post by WPL »

Hello. I've been having a problem with arcade cores and black screens. I'll boot up a core, the ROM will load, I may or may not see graphics, the sound starts playing, but the screen is black and my LCD monitor shuts off due to lack of input. Also the OSD menu won't come up. This almost always happens with Double Dragon 2, Gaia Crusaders, and recently with Burger Time. Is it my monitor, or do I need to mess with some settings? Thanks!

AngelicLiver

Re: Black Screen Blues

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

It might be worth setting vsync_adjust=0 in your MiSTer.ini in case it's a refresh incompatibility with your display. Failing that please post your .ini file and check your ROMs are valid.

MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

Could also be bad clusters or corruption on your SD card, you could try another SD if you have one lying around.

Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

WPL wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:11 am

Hello. I've been having a problem with arcade cores and black screens. I'll boot up a core, the ROM will load, I may or may not see graphics, the sound starts playing, but the screen is black and my LCD monitor shuts off due to lack of input. Also the OSD menu won't come up. This almost always happens with Double Dragon 2, Gaia Crusaders, and recently with Burger Time. Is it my monitor, or do I need to mess with some settings? Thanks!

I checked Burger Time and Double Dragon II on my MiSTer. Both output at 57.4Hz. My guess is your monitor isn't syncing anything under 60Hz. You can check if changing the vsync adjust settings help or you have to look for another monitor (I use a monitor with GSync/Freesync and this seems to do the trick on all cores).

Retro-Nerd

Unread post by Retro-Nerd »

I agree. For Arcade games in proper native speed it's mandatory to have a Gsync/Freesync capable monitor/TV. Forcing the games to 60Hz isn't fun at times (e.g for 55-57Hz games), it's too fast.

WPL

Unread post by WPL »

Okay so this is weird. I turned on my MiSTer, checked vsync_adjust in the OSD (it was set to 0), now everything works even though I didn't change anything. The one side effect is that the OSD menu is a little bit stretched vertically. Not sure what happened, but I'll take it.