Phillips Discoverer TV - Fuzzy Untuned Screen

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
zengeek

Phillips Discoverer TV - Fuzzy Untuned Screen

Unread post by zengeek »

Hello,

This is my first post! Recently got a Mister and have been very impressed so far, so much so I went out and got hold of a Phillips Discoverer CRT TV, which looks awesome, but I am having a few issues with getting it working correctly with Mister.

Essentially it uses an RF connection, so I went out an bought a RF to hdmi adaptor. I have managed to get it find the signal on channel 38 on 61.25mhz using PAL I. I am getting sound okay, but the picture is very poor and wobbly with two white bands slowly running down the screen. When I remember back to the old days, usually I would just tune the channel and it would correct the picture. This looks like it is set, and I can't adjust it on the screen.

I used this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B6CYB3ST/

Any advice on troubleshooting?

Photo attached

Thanks,
Tom

Attachments
IMG_1989 - Copy.jpg
IMG_1989 - Copy.jpg (3.19 MiB) Viewed 848 times
MostroW

Re: Phillips Discoverer TV - Fuzzy Untuned Screen

Unread post by MostroW »

there should be a fine adjust on the back of the TV, refer to your manual, you might need to fine tune it.

bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

lovely looking crt.. but such a shame phillips didn't put a scart connection on it..

The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
zengeek

Unread post by zengeek »

MostroW wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:40 pm

there should be a fine adjust on the back of the TV, refer to your manual, you might need to fine tune it.

Thanks. That is not an option (I checked the TV manual before posting). It is auto-tuned by, as such the 'control' tune function is disabled (at least by me observation)

I have ordered a RF to RCA adaptor and a RCA to VGA cable, hopefully that will work.

jordi

Unread post by jordi »

RF is always fuzzy.

I've seen some videos on youtube of people modding TVs by directly wiring composite video input to RF modulator circuit output.

Armakuni

Unread post by Armakuni »

bazza_12 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:18 am

lovely looking crt.. but such a shame phillips didn't put a scart connection on it..

Yeah always loved the look too but Philips had a nasty habit of locking their CRTs to PAL only even as late as 1998 on their Blackline series, ludicrous

bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

i had a 14" portable phillips that i bought brand new in '92 it had a scart socket on it.. (it wasn't the Discoverer model) it only went kaput last year. it had a great picture. was perfect for my amiga 1200.

The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Ironically, most, if not all PAL Amiga15Khz monitors, were made by Philips, equipped with SCART or other types of analog RGB connectors.