0MHz DOS Collection / PS3 Controller Support?

retroplace

0MHz DOS Collection / PS3 Controller Support?

Unread post by retroplace »

Hello,

I have just installed the 0MHz collection but can not get any game to run with a PS3 controller. The controller usually works out of the box with everything else, but I can not get it to work with the collection.

OSD works fine, I also get the usual button description (top left corner), but apart from that, no game reacts to any button presses.

Any ideas what I might have missed are welcome.

What I have tried so far:

1. Configured the buttons manually in the Core OSD menu.
  2. Changed the joystick settings (2 button, 4 button, gravis pad etc.)

I basically went through all the possible configurations but to no avail.

Best,

Armin

ItalianGrandma

Re: 0MHz DOS Collection / PS3 Controller Support?

Unread post by ItalianGrandma »

Here are some instructions for using the core's Button/Key Remap feature: https://github.com/0mhz-net/0mhz-collec ... 2025660853 (scroll down to the last comment).

Keep in mind when defining, you press the button on your controller first and then press the key on your keyboard that you want the button to act as.

You can ignore the bit about adding the setname line to your MGL file for that game and downloading MiSTer main unstable if you want, but keep in mind that your keyboard buttons will be mapped that way for every game you load if you don't do that part.

retroplace

While this sounds like a good workaround, I do not understand why it does not work as intended by the core (which seems to support various joysticks). But I will definitely try this!

ItalianGrandma

retroplace wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:08 pm

While this sounds like a good workaround, I do not understand why it does not work as intended by the core (which seems to support various joysticks). But I will definitely try this!

I think a lot of it comes down to how the original game sees joysticks. Back then, we didn't have controllers with all of these buttons and different protocols were used to interface them with the PC. Also, every game has different ways of configuring/recognizing the joysticks. I actually look at the Button/Key Remap as a huge QOL feature that makes things better for the most part.

retroplace

Ok, so in a nutshell: This is not a problem on my side; it is cumbersome for everybody, correct?

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Still unclear exactly what is going on.

A ton of DOS games don't have any kind of joystick/gamepad support. Others have it default to off and you need to configure something to turn it on. Arguably the 0mhz collection should do this for you, but maybe they haven't. I know it certainly includes many games that lack joystick support altogether.

When you "configure" controller in ao486, you're mapping it to a DOS controller/gamepad. If you want the controller to push keyboard keys, you have to use the remap feature, which is arduous and will not be remembered when you leave the core, so its ultimately not a great solution.

ItalianGrandma

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:06 pm

Still unclear exactly what is going on.

A ton of DOS games don't have any kind of joystick/gamepad support. Others have it default to off and you need to configure something to turn it on. Arguably the 0mhz collection should do this for you, but maybe they haven't. I know it certainly includes many games that lack joystick support altogether.

When you "configure" controller in ao486, you're mapping it to a DOS controller/gamepad. If you want the controller to push keyboard keys, you have to use the remap feature, which is arduous and will not be remembered when you leave the core, so its ultimately not a great solution.

Actually, your information is outdated. The button/key remap feature is now a persistent setting (as long as you click “save settings”) and you can have specific keymaps on a per-game basis by using the setname parameter in your MGL files that launch the game: https://github.com/0mhz-net/0mhz-collec ... 2025660853

You’re not wrong that it can be a bit cumbersome when you’re dealing with 100’s of games, but at least once you’ve set your controls up how you like them, you’re done.

ItalianGrandma

retroplace wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:00 pm

Ok, so in a nutshell: This is not a problem on my side; it is cumbersome for everybody, correct?

As far as I know, yes. It is certainly possible that you and I are both missing something, but I don’t think so.