Update All and Saturn/N64 Issues

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
brechtian

Update All and Saturn/N64 Issues

Unread post by brechtian »

I ran update_all last night for the updated saturn core and to add N64.

N64 shows up on my MiSTer cores, but there's no folder for it on my SD card when I plug it into my PC. No file

With the Saturn, I'm able to get the boot screen, but the roms that had been working (zipped folders with bin and cue files) aren't appearing when I select "Insert Disc." I have loaded the bios before trying, and all of my roms had worked before this update. Do I need to unzip them or something?

Thank you for the help!

dickhardpill

Re: Update All and Saturn/N64 Issues

Unread post by dickhardpill »

I was always under the impression disk based games won't work properly in a zip/7z

I'm not positive of size difference in bin/cue and CHD, I just went CHD because it was easier IMO and the C stands for compressed. I am not an expert.

rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

@dickhardpill CHD can represent extremely significant (read: more than 50%) savings vs. BIN, depending on the nature of the content.

AngelicLiver

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

dickhardpill wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:40 pm

I was always under the impression disk based games won't work properly in a zip/7z

I'm not positive of size difference in bin/cue and CHD, I just went CHD because it was easier IMO and the C stands for compressed. I am not an expert.

You are correct, do not use compressed archives for disks as the weedy ARM CPU and disk IO on the DE10-Nano will not play nice when trying to decompress and subsequently read all that streaming data. ROMs are fine as that's typically a one-and-done affair as they are loaded into memory.

CHDs really are the way to go for massive space savings and it's easy to convert your BIN/CUE files with CHDMAN.

Dr Johnny Bananas

Unread post by Dr Johnny Bananas »

rhester72 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:46 am

@dickhardpill CHD can represent extremely significant (read: more than 50%) savings vs. BIN, depending on the nature of the content.

Absolutely go CHD!

dickhardpill

Unread post by dickhardpill »

rhester72 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:46 am

Wow that's good to know! Thanks for confirming