Help using MT-32 pi with Monkey Island

Op8glum

Help using MT-32 pi with Monkey Island

Unread post by Op8glum »

Hi - have recently set up a mister and been enjoying it immensely. Have set up multiple console and computer cores. Have an MT-32 pi as well that works great in all ao486 games that support it … except Monkey Island.

The MT-32 doesn’t seem to be working with the MT-32 version (0mhz dos collection) of Monkey Island. The game runs fine and I am getting sound but there is no indication on the MT-32 pi OSD that it is working, meaning there are no jumping bars on OSD when MIDI sound is playing. All other MT-32 games show these bars when MIDI sound is playing. Also, the sound seems a bit hollow and makes me think the MT-32 is not being used.

Any help or thoughts appreciated!

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Re: Help using MT-32 pi with Monkey Island

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

There's possibly something wrong with that 0Mhz version. It has been working well with the Top 300 pack. When I get back home I can check if it works on my setup.

dickhardpill

Unread post by dickhardpill »

Testing 0Mhz and it doesn’t appear to work. I am getting no action on my MT32p even using Monkey Island (MT-32)

I unplugged my pi and the baked-in MIDI kept playing.

Op8glum

Unread post by Op8glum »

Thanks for the replies! I hadn’t really considered that the issue was with the 0mhz version since they have all worked so flawlessly for me. Cheers again for responding.

dickhardpill

Trying 4D Sports Driving (MT-32) and it works.
7th Guest (MT-32) works
A-Train (MT-32) works

I only tried these 3 but they all worked.

Op8glum

Unread post by Op8glum »

FYI user ‘iso70x’ posted the following in the GitHub issue thread:

It looks like there's a slight mistake in the c:\autoexec.bat file in the monkey island 1 mt32 vhd. If I replace MONKEY.EXE with RUNGAME.BAT it fixes it and uses mt32. RUNGAME.BAT launches the game with the additional switch needed to use mt32.

dickhardpill

Op8glum wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:37 pm

It looks like there's a slight mistake in the c:\autoexec.bat file in the monkey island 1 mt32 vhd. If I replace MONKEY.EXE with RUNGAME.BAT it fixes it and uses mt32. RUNGAME.BAT launches the game with the additional switch needed to use mt32.

I just edited the autoexec.bat (been decades since I've done that!) but is doesn't seem to do anything different other than I did notice the MT32-Pi responding to changes in settings but I still can't get any audio to actually process through the MT32-PI as I can disconnect the serial cable and nothing happens, music still continues.

Has anyone else had any luck?

Bas
Top Contributor

Unread post by Bas »

uli

Unread post by uli »

dickhardpill wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:31 am

I just edited the autoexec.bat (been decades since I've done that!) but is doesn't seem to do anything different other than I did notice the MT32-Pi responding to changes in settings but I still can't get any audio to actually process through the MT32-PI as I can disconnect the serial cable and nothing happens, music still continues.

In fact replacing monkey.exe with rungame.bat in the autoexec.bat worked for me.

dickhardpill

uli wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:07 pm
dickhardpill wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:31 am

In fact replacing monkey.exe with rungame.bat in the autoexec.bat worked for me.

I ended up running the 0mhz_downloader.sh and it updated the vhd. I still needed to edit the bat file but it works now.