MiSTer Crashes When Using Hard Drive Images

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
proteque

MiSTer Crashes When Using Hard Drive Images

Unread post by proteque »

I am not really new to mister. used it for some years. but was unsure where to put this.

I think my mister may have a hardware problem OR I have a software problem?

After an update the mister started crashing when I loaded cores with diskfiles (hard disk files). Not sure where the size limit goes for the problem but lets use minimig as an example: minimig with a 100mb image ran for ... a little while. but with 10 gig image it crashes before it is done loading AmigaOS (about halfways).

What happen is that the mister crashed (completely) and then reboots into the menu. I have been logged in through ssh when it happens and the linux part crashes too.

My first thought was the SD card so I bought a new one and downloaded mrfusion and started over from scratch. Tried with new known working disk images and copied them over. but still the same. the mister crashes. I then ran a memory check. everything fine with the memory as well. I then tried having the disk images on a usb disk. same problem. I have ran out of options to try.

I also tested another PSU just in case something happened to that one and it rebooted due to not enough power.

The cores I have used for testing is minimig and ao486. happens to them both. Any advice?

dickhardpill

Re: MiSTer Crashes When Using Hard Drive Images

Unread post by dickhardpill »

Have you tested your SDRAM?

proteque

I did run memtest in the utilites. From what I understand everything is fine as long as those red numbers are 0? Worth doing another run?

proteque

running it again now in default 150Mhz. last time I ran it for 10 minutes as someone on the internet said. :) Can leave it longer this time. 150Mhz okay? on 160Mhz it had some errors, but so far nothing on 150.

dickhardpill

Unread post by dickhardpill »

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/MemTest_MiSTer wrote:

Test is passed if amount of errors is 0. For quick test let it run for 10 minutes in auto mode. If you want to be sure, let it run for 1-2 hours. Board should pass at least 130 MHz clock test. Any higher clock will assure the higher quality of the board.

bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

hmm have you tried loading the HD image on winuae? to see if it crashes on that?

The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
proteque

I ran it through the night. and at 150Mhz no errors on memtest.

I have tested that the image is okay and working in uae. the problem is also present in AO486, so I think there is a problem on the board and not the minimig-core. Just not sure what to test and look for as I have run out of options. I even tried another psu to be sure it is not the psu failing on me.

So this is what I have tried to make it a bit clearer:

• after the problem started on AO486 and Minimig:

• setup from scratch on new SD-card

• Tested know working hard drive images (several) in minimig but the crashing persists.

• Tried to have the disk files and kickstart roms on USB rather than the SD-card. Same problem

• Ran memtest through the night at 150Mhz with no errors.

• Testet another power supply to verify that it wasn't a power issue

Running out of options to try.

Bas
Top Contributor

Unread post by Bas »

Are you 100% positive the exfat partition on your SD card is free of any and all structural errors? This seems a highly unlikely path because you already tried another card, started over from scratch and tried a USB drive, but still. It's in the critical path and is slightly different from having a physically defective card. A new card would happily take a subtly corrupted filesystem and just chug along fine. A filesystem check won't hurt and crosses an item off the list.

Another option could be to get debug messages from the user port in serial console mode. I haven't used this myself yet but I read that it's possible to get a lot more debugging info from the MiSTer that way. It may tell you what it's trying to do just before it keels over.

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Get the Amiga Vision Pack which is a known curated Amiga HD and use that. If it works then its probably your images

proteque

Bas wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:02 am

Are you 100% positive the exfat partition on your SD card is free of any and all structural errors? This seems a highly unlikely path because you already tried another card, started over from scratch and tried a USB drive, but still. It's in the critical path and is slightly different from having a physically defective card. A new card would happily take a subtly corrupted filesystem and just chug along fine. A filesystem check won't hurt and crosses an item off the list.

Another option could be to get debug messages from the user port in serial console mode. I haven't used this myself yet but I read that it's possible to get a lot more debugging info from the MiSTer that way. It may tell you what it's trying to do just before it keels over.

Thanx. I will try to figure out how to get debug messages through serial.

I am pretty sure the exfat-partition is okay. I did not reuse anything from the old SD-card when I made the new setup. Downloaded newest mr fusion and started with that. Also. one of the tests I did on usb-disk was on ext4 (was mostly "trying everything".

proteque

FPGA64 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:25 am

Get the Amiga Vision Pack which is a known curated Amiga HD and use that. If it works then its probably your images

That was one of the setups I tried. and all this images did work prior to this problem starting. (I have the "masters" on my pc and transfer new from the archive when testing.)