Need Some Advice to Restore the Aspect Ratio Without Shimmering

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Atohmdiy

Need Some Advice to Restore the Aspect Ratio Without Shimmering

Unread post by Atohmdiy »

Hi,

I got a tv recently, a Pana TX-36PD30. The TV by itself is very good with an excellent image but i didn't knew what to really expect when i bought it. And let's say the information you can find on reddit and such are... well, very unreliable :lol:

So it seems that only the component input is usable without the usual 100hz mess, with a resolution of 720x480. To add to the enjoyment, the TV stretch automatically everything to 16/9 in component.

The best would be a working 16/9 modeline and i found some mode that seems very close of working, but my knowledge of video mode is too limited and right now it's a dead end :(

I never cared too much for scaling as i was using only sd crt, so messing with these options is new. It won't be a big issue if the TV wasn't lock to 16/9 ratio and i doubt Mister's options are built for anamorphic, but more for modern 16/9 TV...
I tried the custom aspect ratio options, I assume i need to set a ratio of 852/720 which is close of 1.18 59/50. It is working as the aspect ratio seems good, but there is a lot of shimmering.
It seems that hv integer options are the only way to restore a (close aspect) ratio some cores without shimmering, but some core like PSX or Megadrive are too stretched.

rhester72
Top Contributor

Re: Need Some Advice to Restore the Aspect Ratio Without Shimmering

Unread post by rhester72 »

You can't have it both ways. 1:1 PAR won't shimmer but won't be in proper aspect ratio. 1:1 DAR will be proper AR but will exhibit shimmering. Pick your poison. :)

AfterBurnett

Unread post by AfterBurnett »

I do it with the video filter - "interpolation only". That way you get a nice, clean image at any aspect ratio and no shimmering.

Select video processing/load preset/interpolation only from within the core.

rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

I don't think interpolation can help here. If you have a series of closely-spaced thin vertical lines or similar, they are necessarily going to be unevenly spaced based on screen position - as horizontal scrolling occurs, this introduces the shimmer effect. It's not noticeable on all content (it requires all of those conditions to be true), but when it is, interpolation won't do anything to help.

Atohmdiy

Unread post by Atohmdiy »

Thanks for your answer, it's really a shame this TV has so much potential. If only i could find a 852x480 modeline, but i doubt it.
Anyway i'll give a try to interpolation. I quickly tried the video filter to add scanline but it don't do anything except darkens the image. I usually go with the scandoubler fx with 75% scanline but a few core don't have it (psx at least). I don't understand why these scanline filter doesn't work, i just want to darken 1/2 line.