TI-994a How-To

Flandango
Core Developer

Re: TI-994a How-To

Unread post by Flandango »

Yeah. I just looked at the schematics for the 6.0 and IO6 is not connected.
There may be a mod but I am not aware of it. It may be easy to figure out from the schematics, but I would rather leave that to the experts or to those who have tried it and not fried it.
Also looking at your photos, you have one of the boards that they didn't include the needed header (Between fan and SDRAM). From what I recall seeing in some reports, it's alot of the cheaper, aliexpress, builds. So any mod will require that that header get installed.
notFound

Unread post by notFound »

Yes you are right, my board was bought on aliexpress and lack of the IO jumper, the only thing is to buy the last IO board and try with it. Flandango, thank you for your help, very appreciated. I have another question for you. Is it possible to merge Ti994a_TIPI_PCODE_20210927 & Ti994a_Alpha_20210901 until you figure out how to complete the F18A integration? I tested the F18A version many times and works very well with all the application that require 40/80 column display "no hangs or crash" and some demos that not require the GPU function. With TIPI, is possible to surf the net, seeing in some reports, so will be a cool implementation to have all in one core, just for test purpose.
Flandango
Core Developer

Unfortunately I can't just merge the two together. I will revisit the F18A integration in the future, but at the moment, since I couldn't get it completely working I couldn't leave it in. When I start "playing" around with it again, I will post another Alpha, which of course will be based on the latest core features.
notFound

OK, Thanks a lot...
eewoke

Unread post by eewoke »

Hi, did anyone get the new game ZQX-One to work? Thanks!
-= MiSTer FPGA enthusiast =-
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

eewoke wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:48 am Hi, did anyone get the new game ZQX-One to work? Thanks!
That game is using the F18A, so it's not supported (at the moment) by the core. The version with the F18A posted by Flandango is at an initial stage and not fully working. We hope to have the F18A implemented in the future. :-)
eewoke

Unread post by eewoke »

tmop wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:22 pm
eewoke wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:48 am Hi, did anyone get the new game ZQX-One to work? Thanks!
That game is using the F18A, so it's not supported (at the moment) by the core. The version with the F18A posted by Flandango is at an initial stage and not fully working. We hope to have the F18A implemented in the future. :-)
Thanks for updating me. Other F18A games worked, so I thought there was something wrong with my settings. Fingers crossed for full F18A implementation.
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

eewoke wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:37 pm
Thanks for updating me. Other F18A games worked, so I thought there was something wrong with my settings. Fingers crossed for full F18A implementation.
What games are working for you? I was able to just run some demos. None of the full games (eg. Super Mario) is supposed to work?
eewoke

Unread post by eewoke »

tmop wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:04 am
eewoke wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:37 pm

What games are working for you? I was able to just run some demos. None of the full games (eg. Super Mario) is supposed to work?
Played Scramble, but this game is F18A enhanced. My bad.
Flandango
Core Developer

Recently I, with the help of Tmop, have been working on some modification to the core.
In order to even think about adding new features (like the Tipi, Pcode...), I needed to redo how Cartridges are being loaded.
Currently, the carts include the System Rom, System Grom, Disk DSR and Speech Roms. So I decided to decouple everything out of the Cartridge roms and only have...cartridge related roms in them. To also make loading cartridges with various C/D roms along with Groms (G files), a new header is being introduced to help identify roms of how they are setup (how many Roms and Groms, what type of cartridge its...) and also allowing for cartridges above 64k in size (32Megs in fact...possibly more in the future).
Python scripts are included to help convert current roms, create new roms from C/D/G files or convert whole Mame Rom sets over. It does require Python 3.10 or above though.
Here is a list of what new in this build:
- New Rom format.
- Carts up to 32 Megs are now supported
- System files (roms, groms, dsrs) are loadable through the a separate menu.
- Tipi and PCode support.
- Added a Reset and Detach Cart menu option to wipe cartridge memory before resetting (will also wipe cartridge loaded with boot0.rom)
- And for those with an ADC addon, Reading Tapes is now possible. If for some reason you want to write to tape (or PC via audio in), you can grab the audio from HDMI out or the audio out jack on I/O board and write it off...but mute your speakers because it is loud.

For the time being, the old "full" cartridges are still loadable, but you still need to have the System Roms/Groms loaded separately along with any optional dsrs/roms you want to use (Tipi, Pcode, Disk and sound).

And for those that want to play with an extremely buggy build with 80 Column support, I have included the Alpha core which has all the new features the other core does.
Attachments
Ti994a_F18A_Alpa_20211210.7z
(1.07 MiB) Downloaded 172 times
Ti994a_20211212.7z
(871.33 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

To support this new, great release by @Flandango, you can download my MegaPack V4 for the TI99 from the AtariAge forum (https://atariage.com/forums/topic/31265 ... nt=4967326).

It contains all the needed BIOS, .M99 files, new disk, new TOD games directly in cart format, the last homebrew released, etc.

If you want to test the tape feature, you can download the .wav files from TI99IUC site (e.g. https://www.ti99iuc.it/web/index.php?pa ... buBHHyZOUk and https://www.ti99iuc.it/web/index.php?pa ... buCcHyZOUl are working fine on MiSTer TI99 core, MAME and on the real iron).

The MegaPack also contains the Dragon's Lair Demo for the TI99, now fully supported by this update of the core.

Many thanks to @Flandango for this great update (... ready for Christmas holidays). :D
cathrynmataga

Unread post by cathrynmataga »

Playing around with this. I think I like the change with the system ROMS selectable under Hardware. I think it's at least a little more clear to me, and I managed to load a DSK on this for the first time. At least, I think if it says "XB+32K AUTOLOAD" that means they work if I load Extended Basic. the EA3/EA5? Is that Editor/Assembler? Haven't figured these out yet.
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

cathrynmataga wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:27 am Playing around with this. I think I like the change with the system ROMS selectable under Hardware. I think it's at least a little more clear to me, and I managed to load a DSK on this for the first time. At least, I think if it says "XB+32K AUTOLOAD" that means they work if I load Extended Basic. the EA3/EA5? Is that Editor/Assembler? Haven't figured these out yet.
Yes, it's correct EA means Editor Assembler. There are 2 types of loaders on this module, identified by the number in the menu.

If EA5, to load it just select from Editor/Assembler the menu "5 RUN PROGRAM FILE". If EA3 select menu "3 LOAD AND RUN".
For both you'll required to insert the disk number and the file name. The disk is "DSK1" if you mounted the disk on the first drive, "DSK2" on the second, etc. The file name to use is indicated in the suffix.

E.g. "[TI DISK] Rock Runner (19xx)(Eric LaFortune)[EA5 ROCK].dsk" requires to use Editor Assembler, menu 5. Type: DSK1.ROCK at the prompt. The program will then run automatically.

EA3 game requires sometime to specify the starting label to run them. It's the equivalent of "SYS xyz" on C64. On the TI it uses a mnemonic label instead of the location used on the C64.

E.g. "[TI DISK] Monaco Race (1984)(Ulisoft)[EA3 MONACORACE - MONACO].dsk" this is an Editor/Assembler EA3 game. Load with DSK1.MONACORACE, then run using MONACO for label;

If you look at the ReadMe file in the pack there is a section with some instructions on how to use the disk.

Some usual short names on the TI are:
XB = Extended Basic
EA = Editor/Assembler
MM = Mini Memory
DM = Disk Manager
TOD = Tunnels of Doom
TEII = Terminal Emulator II

Let me know for any other doubt or clarification.
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

Did I see...tape? :)

Questions (since I can't look at the core right now):

- Is this hardware tape deck attach or virtual via WAV?
- Either way, does it support writing?

So cool! This is one of those systems that really NEEDS tape support, since it was how so very many of us got our start!
Flandango
Core Developer

Tape support is via the ADC port and not virtual/wave file loading.
Writing to tape is possible but not easy. When saving, the audio is output with the system audio so you'll have to either capture it as it comes out of the HDMI port or if you have a I/O board with the audio out jack, you can use that. It will of course also record the beeps you get with the system prompts.
If you do try to write to tape, I suggest you either mute your speakers or lower the volume...it's pretty loud.
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

rhester72 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:11 pm Did I see...tape? :)

Questions (since I can't look at the core right now):

- Is this hardware tape deck attach or virtual via WAV?
- Either way, does it support writing?

So cool! This is one of those systems that really NEEDS tape support, since it was how so very many of us got our start!
I've tested with the original tape recorder and some tapes and it works great. :-) If you still have your recorder you need to try with it, it's cool.

You can use your PC and Audacity for wav files, you need just to find the correct volume. Not able to use my mobile phone, the output seems to be not loud enough.
Flandango
Core Developer

Here is another update to my Alpha build of the core.
Attachments
Ti994a_F18A_Alpha_20211219.7z
(1.03 MiB) Downloaded 186 times
notFound

Awesome release, I've tested it for some hours, works well, thanks for the F18A implementation. As is, almost everything is possible, I hope for a total integration of the GPU part in a near future. For a core expansion, I want to ask you, how about a physical interface between Mister GPIO with real world? What I wanted to say is, the possibility to integrate serial & parallel port to connect the DE-10 to a real printer or some hardwares like Arduino. I don't know how hard it is to implement such hardware but a very interesting idea. However, well done.
Flandango
Core Developer

While I don't like to say never, there aren't enough available pins to support the TI's parallel port. Serial port, that's possible.
Currently it does support interfacing with a Raspberry Pi with the TIPI protocol to provide printing to PDF, disk/harddrive-like support and even internet access and time/date support for the TI-99/4A.
Flandango
Core Developer

Here is my latest and more stable version of the core with Matthew Hagerty's F18A support.
I was hoping to include the ability to switch between the two video chips but it wouldn't fit in core without timing issues.
Therefore I will leave it as a stand-alone, unofficial core for the time being.
The Video output should be around 640x48 @ 31.42Khz/59.8hz.
I don't have a VGA monitor to test with so not sure what your results will be but looks ok to me on LCD/HDMI. I don't have a real TI99-4A with F18A to compare it too.
From the F18A compatible software that I came across (Mario, ZQX-One, Alex Kidd, various demos and 80 column apps), I got them all to run.
Turbo seems to also work with more software (Can now load and run some XB Games/Disks (ex Caves, Cutthroat) with not problem.
Also finally got around to updating the Framework (will also update the Official, non-F18A core). One side-effect is Shadow Masking. If that's something that interests you, you can give it a shot.
Enjoy and Happy New Year!
Attachments
Ti994a-F18A_20211231.7z
(974.68 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

@greyrogue, I noticed that the source files for the last version of the core (with tape support) were merged in the main official branch on github, but no new .rbf file is available into the "releases" directory. Also the auto-update script is downloading the previous Ti994a_20210829.rbf version.

Could you check it? Thanks.
mnielsenau

Unread post by mnielsenau »

I was wondering if anyone had managed to get TIPI support on the F18A core running on a Raspberry Pi ZeroW? I did get it running on a Raspberry Pi 3B+ but even with the same wiring and same setup I was not able to get it going on the zero. CALL TIPI just hangs forever.

If anyone got it working and can help it would be appreciated. :)
Flandango
Core Developer

I got it to work with slight modifications to the tip code on the PI Zero W. I am not home at the moment but when I get I'll send you instructions to try and see if you have any luck with it.
Flandango
Core Developer

Ok here are the instructions to make the modifications to tipi to try to get it to work with a Pi Zero W (haven't tested a Pi Zero 2 W yet so not sure it's needed).
I use VI as an editor, so the instructions are assuming no experience with modifying files on linux. If you have experience with another editor, then please do so.

1. SSH over to Tipi (Default Username/Password is tipi/tipi)
2. cd tipi/services/libtipi
3. vi tipiports.c
4. Goto line 55 ( :55 )
5. Change the line from :

Code: Select all

// delayMicroseconds(1L);
to

Code: Select all

delayMicroseconds(1L);
(move cursor over the / and hit x to delete)
6. Save and Quit ( :wq )
7. ./rebuild.sh
8. When done, reboot

This seems to work for me, let me know if you have any luck with it.
mnielsenau

@Flandango. Thanks so much for your help. Will give it a go and let you know. I have a bit of experience with Linux so should ve ok I think. :)
mnielsenau

@Flandango. OK quick update... I did the edit to the tipiports.c file and got the Pi ZeroW to respond to the F18A core on both my v1.2 MiSTer Digital I/O board and a cheap Alliexpress I/O board. So it would seem that all is good... well not quite.... :)

When I tried it on my new MiSTer Multisystem board it either didn't work at all (CALL TIPI hangs) or if it did work then the system was quite flakey and would hang when issuing a Force Command statement like DIR. Same wiring and SD card image on both but one being stable and the other flakey.

Not sure what is going on here, but it seems like either a weird timing issue or some electrical differences with the MiSTer MultiSystem board. I have removed the pin 4 ground as you have suggested previously and have powered the PI's with an external 3A PSU. Also checked the IO6 jumper was set to IO6 and not 3.3v

Anyway, I am happy I got the PI ZeroW working with the core on at least one of my MiSTer setups. :)

BTW thanks so much for your work on this core, it is truly a great piece of work. If I didn't look down (at the keyboard) I wouldn't know it wasn't a real TI with an F18A installed.

Thanks to you and the great TI community for keeping our little machine alive!

Cheers,
Flandango
Core Developer

Mnielsenau, sorry to hear that it didn't work with the multisystem. I don't have a Multisystem to troubleshoot with because I missed out on the original order but I should be getting one by June/July this year.
The issue is not as much as a timing as it's a hardware issue. For some reason the Zero is having a hard time pulling down one of the pins fast enough (MiSTer pulls them up) before it want's it to go high again so the signal is very dirty (for lack of better term). You could try modifying line 55 to delay a little longer (change the 1L to 2L or 3L), rebuild/reboot and see if that helps any on the Multisystem.
Also, the shorter the cable between the Pi and the Mister, the better. I have also found the Zero to be more sensitive to interference (touching the connector on the pins) then it's bigger siblings.
Glad to hear that you are enjoying the core and Mister :)
mnielsenau

@Flandango - Thanks for your response. It is the darndest thing. I can get the Raspberry Pi3B+, 4 and ZeroW (with the delay timing modifications) to work on the MiSTer Digital I/O board and the cheap Alliexpress I/O board but not the MultiSystem board. I have checked the IO6 jumper and the 3.3V/5V jumper on the board and both are set correctly.

Is there anything I can do with a Logic Probe to see if the signals are getting through to the PI? All I am getting on the MultiSystem at this stage is CALL TIPI hanging. The SNAC functionality works just fine on the MultiSystem board so I think the port itself is OK.

Not sure what more to try at this stage. I have pinged the guys at RMC store to see if they can suggest anything. If not then I think I need to get another DE10 Nano and just use it for the TI core :) :)
Flandango
Core Developer

When I get home from work and have some time, I'll look into writing up some instructions to on how to modify the tipiports.c file to spew some debug information to a log file.
It won't be much, but at least you'll know if there is any kind of data coming through even if it's garbage.
I'll also point out what pin on either the Pi or UserIO port on the MultiSystem side to look for activity with the logic probe.
mnielsenau

@Flandango - I will give it a try when it is ready. Thanks for all your help!