x5 Integer Scaling with cropping + H/V Int. Scaling for arcade cores

Insert Disk Two

x5 Integer Scaling with cropping + H/V Int. Scaling for arcade cores

Post by Insert Disk Two »

I really like x5 integer scaling with cropping as well as H/V integer scaling recently added to many MiSTer cores recently. Can these somehow be added to arcade cores across the board? Thanks!
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Re: x5 Integer Scaling with cropping + H/V Int. Scaling for arcade cores

Post by LamerDeluxe »

I'd like that too, though I don't know how much overscan an arcade machine normally uses.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

I’d say it’s pretty clear, just by the looks of various games such as Dodonpachi and the CPS1 games, screen real estate was utilized to the max and arcade operators were expected to adjust the cabinets to remove overscan. After all, most boards have a test pattern to make such adjustment easy.
H+V integer scale could still be nice in some cases though.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Post by LamerDeluxe »

Yeah, I had a feeling not much overscan was being used. I guess that also explains the abundance of black backgrounds in those old games.

Like I mentioned elsewhere I use a trick where I calculate a vscale_border value to get integer horizontal scaling, with correct aspect ratio (which the new scaling options don't include yet), on vertical arcade cores and the result looks really crisp. Alternatively I calculate a custom aspect ratio to get integer horizontal scaling at a full vertical scale.