Any good widescreen 15Hz games?

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
jd213

Any good widescreen 15Hz games?

Unread post by jd213 »

Just found a cheap widescreen CRT here in Japan, but it's not HD (also only has RF/composite and S-Video, but I think the Aliexpress C-Box supergun I have will convert RGB to composite or S-Video).

I've been wanting to play modern retro-style games like Shovelknight and Curse of the Moon on a CRT, but I guess they aren't available on MISTer (yet?).

Any other good games?
riblad_om

Re: Any good widescreen 15Hz games?

Unread post by riblad_om »

I'm not a developer but I feel pretty safe in saying that both Shovel Knight and Circle of the Moon are only available on platforms that are well outside of what the de10 nano is capable of simulating, or if it is technically capable of simulating them would take many, many years of work to get running.

There ain't a 3DS or Vita core happening anytime soon for example, and that looks like the lowest spec machines those games are available on.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

MiSTer is not really meant for modern games and it's very unlikely you'll ever see the likes of Shovel Knight (even though I guess it's theoretically possible to do some open source ports of indie games for Linux).

If you want to run modern games on a CRT I suggest adapting a PC with crtemudriver for that, and using custom modelines. Check this thread: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... msg1706892

As for retro games, I think widescreen support has only started around PS2 era so, again, it's out of MiSTer's scope.
AngelicLiver

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

Consider downscaling with something like the GBS Control.

Piplup87

Unread post by Piplup87 »

Another option to consider for getting retro-style games on modern systems to play on CRTs would be using a downscaler. For example, the RT5X has some downscaling options included in its firmware. It takes some setup and some extra hardware, the "my life in gaming" YouTube channel did a long video walking through setting it up. Not sure if that option works for widescreen crt displays versus 4:3. Also not sure about hardware availability or compatibility differences in Japan. But... it may be worth your time researching the option.

Probably the better and simpler option is the one mentioned above, use a PC to drive the display to your CRT, and play the game on your PC. As mentioned above, the games you bring up wont be playable on mister.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Some Playstation games support anamorphic widescreen, like WipEout 3 and 3 SE.
jd213

Unread post by jd213 »

Thanks for all the responses, I did buy a GBS-C board a while ago, still haven't gotten around to buying and soldering in the necessary mods though. Totally forgot that it could do downscaling.

Was hoping that there might be a widescreen game available on MISTer that I wasn't aware of, like a simple PC game or homebrew or something, but if not than no big deal.
LamerDeluxe wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:55 pm Some Playstation games support anamorphic widescreen, like WipEout 3 and 3 SE.
Ah, thanks forgot about those (I know PS1 is still in progress on MISTer, but I have an actual PS1 with an X-station as well). Will have to try that when I get the chance, pretty sure I have an S-Video cable for my PS1 somewhere...
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

The PS1 core is working remarkably well already. Games like WipEout 3(SE) PAL are pretty much working perfectly already. EDIT: No audio until next year though.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

If you don't have them already, get PS2 and Wii (which doubles up as Gamecube). Plenty of widescreen games there and they are easy to softmod.
jd213

Unread post by jd213 »

Thanks, I'm not a big fan of 3D games or 480i, but will definitely have to see how the F-Zero GC game looks on this TV.