New and some questions I haven't found answers

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
lixir

New and some questions I haven't found answers

Unread post by lixir »

Hello guys, I'm so glad I can finally have a hand on this great device.
My dream is to play on a CRT Tv and later on an arcade CRT, but I found out the cruel reality : geometry and convergence !

IMG_1045.jpg
IMG_1045.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 1759 times
IMG_1043.jpg
IMG_1043.jpg (1002.46 KiB) Viewed 1759 times

I tried many different things inside service menu but I can't manage to fix the upper screen it's higher on the left than on the right, like a slope and it's disturbing. Is it something I can fix withouth opening the tv case ?

Also I found out I have some issues with games like Top Hunter on NeoGeo, I have absolutely no sound at all.
Maybe it's a known issue , like intro music on Street fighter 2.

I'm new so if you have any hints, tutorials, I'll be grateful !
Thanks,
akeley
Top Contributor

Re: New and some questions I haven't found answers

Unread post by akeley »

Chasing a "perfect" CRT image is a rabbit hole. Your geometry looks pretty good anyway, you'll never see these tiny distortions when playing actual games, unless you're looking for them. So stop worrying and enjoy your set :)
Xbytez
Site Admin

Unread post by Xbytez »

I agree chasing perfection on a consumer CRT is difficult and can be a huge time sink, looking at your cross hatch it is not too bad, and as it is a consumer CRT it is fairly normal for corner convergence issues to be present, you certainly will not fix this with a service menu.

Only way your going to correct the corner convergence issue is with convergence strips. If you are going to be making your own convergence strips the best material I have found is permalloy also know as MuMetal and Ultraperm.

lixir

Unread post by lixir »

Thanks a lot guys !
I understand and it's good to know that I don't need to dig like crazy.
So far so good.
I will attempt deeper convergence and geometry stuff on my arcade cab, on this TV it's good enough, thanks for the tips anyway.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Round-screen CRTs typically have less geometry issues than flatscreens, especially when the TVs get large. That might be more feasible than the tedious and even dangerous process of fiddling with convergence strips.