New to MiSTer Some Questions

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
peke

New to MiSTer Some Questions

Post by peke »

Hi to all

I bought a DE10nano, hope to arrive next week. didn´t buy another boards yet (to much money for me right now).

I have allready a bunch of consoles with Flash carts or ode´s (nes, sms, snes, gen, ps1,pce, neo geo, etc), the major ones, so I was in doubt to buy it or not....

But real arcade recreation and old computers make me buy it.

I want to run (when it´s completed) atari jaguar core, will it need extra ram? witch IO board I have to buy if its necesary?

I want to plug coleco and atari 5200 controllers, is that possible?

Hope to see cdi, cd32, all that oscure consoles that I don´t have and there are no accurate emulators, maybe some day!

thanks to all

pek
aberu
Core Developer

Re: New to MiSTer Some Questions

Post by aberu »

peke wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:09 pm I want to run (when it´s completed) atari jaguar core, will it need extra ram? witch IO board I have to buy if its necesary?
The Jaguar core is still under development, there's no guarantee that it will work with 1 or 2 RAM. Dual SDRAM is only compatible with the Digital IO board (or no IO board at all).
peke wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:09 pm I want to plug coleco and atari 5200 controllers, is that possible?
There is no support for SNAC adapter use for these two systems, however if you have a USB adapter, I don't see why not.
birdybro~
cursedverses

Post by cursedverses »

Welcome and congratulations!

HARDWARE
==========
As a starter for ten, try to obtain an SDRAM board. 32MB will handle most cores, but if you're into NeoGeo, some of those will require the 128MB. This forum has a section for suppliers.
You'll also need an Micro-USB OTG cable and a USB hub if you want to plug anything into it to actually play.
An SD card is recommended at this point, though you will get one with the DE10-Nano.
If you want to run the PC (AO486) core, you'll need some kind of cooling solution for the board. This is provided via the digital/analogue IO boards (and I believe there's a shim available too). Which one you choose depends on how you plan to use your MiSTer. Want VGA? You want the Analogue board. Want the ability (not that's it's used particularly) to have two SDRAM? Go digital.

SOFTWARE
=========
Follow this guide for starters:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... etup-Guide

Once done, start browsing YouTube and you'll find guides (I used the Pezz82 ones, many thanks Pezz!) that will get you up and running.

Hopefully that'll get you up and running, in a basic way at least.
peke

Post by peke »

thanks for the quick reply

http://www.2600-daptor.com/2600-daptor%20D9.htm

db9 to usb adapter will work with coleco controller (I know,...it sucks!...) with keypad support?

db15 to usb I dind´t find one....but if there is....sill 5200 analog stick work?

hope to get that jaguar core with ypbpr output to plug on a crt!

thanks!
akeley
Top Contributor

Post by akeley »

cursedverses wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:24 pm If you want to run the PC (AO486) core, you'll need some kind of cooling solution for the board. This is provided via the digital/analogue IO boards (and I believe there's a shim available too). Which one you choose depends on how you plan to use your MiSTer. Want VGA? You want the Analogue board.
There's no need to buy I/O board for these things. Analogue VGA can be achieved through Direct Video and cooling via a cheap heatsink/fan combo.
peke

Post by peke »

thanks to all for detailed answers!

the main place I want to use my mister is on my crt (ypbpr), with some 8bitdo snes controllers and 2 cheap usb arcade sticks, my keyboard will be some cheap chinnese wirless with integrated touch. I allready have a ypbpr to vga cable (I use it on a proyector...will it work?)

but since it´s so portable I will hook it up to my arcade cabinet (vga monitor, xarcade usb stick), and my lcd tv (hdmi).

Can I test it with some cores when it arrives since I don´´t have IO board and ram or fan/heatsink?

I use direct video adapter lokkalike (vga to hdmi) and burn a proyector logic board...so...I´m afraid to use that (If I find it)

peke
aberu
Core Developer

Post by aberu »

cursedverses wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:24 pm Which one you choose depends on how you plan to use your MiSTer. Want VGA? You want the Analogue board.
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... rect-Video

You would only need the Analog IO board if you needed to do simultaneous output, you can use Direct Video alternatively.
peke wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:21 pm the main place I want to use my mister is on my crt (ypbpr), with some 8bitdo snes controllers and 2 cheap usb arcade sticks, my keyboard will be some cheap chinnese wirless with integrated touch. I allready have a ypbpr to vga cable (I use it on a proyector...will it work?)

but since it´s so portable I will hook it up to my arcade cabinet (vga monitor, xarcade usb stick), and my lcd tv (hdmi).
Sounds like the Analog IO board is a good fit for your situation then. You will sacrifice the ability to use dual SDRAM, but no core currently absolutely requires dual SDRAM either.
peke wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:21 pm Can I test it with some cores when it arrives since I don´´t have IO board and ram or fan/heatsink?
Yes. It's best to at least have a heatsink, but it shouldn't hurt anything to run without a heatsink for pretty much every core. ao486 and SNES running a Super-FX game might run a bit too hot without a heatsink.
peke wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:21 pm I use direct video adapter lokkalike (vga to hdmi) and burn a proyector logic board...so...I´m afraid to use that (If I find it)
Fair enough, but be sure to know that MiSTer's VGA on the Analog IO board is an RGBHV port, not RGB-S. Generally vga to hdmi shouldn't fry a board on a projector, that sounds like the projector board was faulty already.
birdybro~
peke

Post by peke »

De10 nano arrive today!!!! so happy
Captain FPGA

Post by Captain FPGA »

I believe for the Atari controller there maybe bliss controllers?

https://bliss-box.net/blisster/

https://bliss-box.net/store/Bliss-Box-C ... p198410399

I recommend getting a BlisSTer. It's a zero latency solution plus it let's you use almost any controller on any core.

My understanding was the Jaguar is still too early. No guarantees these core devs in general will finish. After all this is a hobby for most of them. :)

The Jaguar running on the MiSTer is possible if the Saturn/PSX is any indication.
Dreams don't die!