MiSTer FPGA to DVI lcd with audio out

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
lastninjaju

MiSTer FPGA to DVI lcd with audio out

Unread post by lastninjaju »

Hi,

I am looking for a bit of help to set this up.

I have an 4:3 dell lcd monitor which could be ideal for the mister fpga, I will use it mainly for the home computer (c64, amiga etc.) and consoles (snes md pcengine etc.). It has Dvi-D and VGA inputs.

So I was thinking to use a HDMI to DVI adapter plug to connect it to the monitor. First question I assume this will work okay, is it simply plug and play?.

The 2nd question is how will I get the audio out from the mister fpga. usually the audio will go out from the hdmi cable but obviously the dvi input on the dell monitor will not accept audio signal. Will I need to buy a box that extracts the audio from the hdmi out of the mister fpga?. Or is there a more easier method?

Thanks for any help.
ash2fpga

Re: MiSTer FPGA to DVI lcd with audio out

Unread post by ash2fpga »

For mister to work with a DVI monitor, you will need to change the ini setting:
dvi_mode=1

For audio, you can use an IO board. The original IO board (not the digital variant) has analog audio out. Otherwise, a HDMI product with audio extraction should work.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

In addition to this, if you are using the digital IO board or you want to use optical audio out (no EMI in the audio that way from the board), you can get a mini-Tos to regular tos optical cable, and hook it up to a DAC.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZPYS818/

This is one I use just for reference. That way I can get audio out without the EMI from the IO board (when cores load lots of noise, etc...).
birdybro~
SuperBabyHix

Unread post by SuperBabyHix »

You can actually get an all in one box that converts HDMI to DVI and splits the audio out to spdif and 3.5mm analog.